A family tree makes a very special wedding anniversary gift for your parents.
Just as every family is unique, so is every Family Tree. This is our favourite wedding anniversary gift for parents, but clients have also given them to celebrate milestone birthdays as well. There is something awe-inspiring when they see their family – what they have created – displayed as a family tree. It solidifies their legacy and will likely make them cry happy tears. The look on their face when they open their Family Tree is what makes this such a special gift.
Tips for creating a beautiful Family Tree
We can create a family tree for any family regardless of size or complexity… we’ve seen it all. But the general rule of thumb is the more information you can give us, the better!
- Give us ALL the names – middle names and maiden names (if applicable) are really important here. This helps add length to the branches and fill out the tree.
- Do your homework – please make sure the spelling is correct and that you haven’t forgotten anyone! (Yes, it’s happened… often). You will receive a design file to approve before we engrave, but it is best to do your homework ahead of time.
- If you’d like specific placement, tell us – for example, if Aunt Shelly had a child before being married to Uncle Zeb and you want the tree to reflect that, please tell us in advance. It is surprising how difficult it is to alter the tree once it is designed – and it is impossible to alter it after it is engraved.
Suggestions for small families
I meant it when I said we can work with any family size, but I also understand the hesitation when you are from a small family. So here are some ideas we can use to help fill in your tree.
- Make sure we have all the names. I know I’m repeating myself but middle and maiden names make a HUGE difference when you are trying to fill in a tree.
- Go back a generation. Instead of your parents for the trunk, use your grandparents. You can pick a side of the family, or we can create a tree using both sets of grandparents. We have your paternal grandparents on one side of the trunk and the maternal grandparents on the other, and build the tree from there.
- Add memories, special places or dates, or inside jokes. Adding these special memories to your family tree will easily help fill out the branches and still create a meaningful gift. This makes a great conversation starter and your loved one will enjoy retelling the stories associated with these memories.
- If you are still unsure, check out our family collection to see if these designs may be better suited for your family.
More about our Cutting Boards
Our cutting boards are 100% Canadian-made, crafted from a mix of maple and cherry hardwood. Using both species of wood gives our boards their stunning appearance. Every board is unique – with colour and grain pattern differences in every piece. Add a Family Tree and the board becomes a treasured piece of functional art that will survive the constant decluttering of life because it is beautiful, functional, and meaningful.
How to care for this extra special wedding anniversary gift for your parents
We include a product care card with all orders so whomever you are buying for will know exactly what to do. All natural wood products require regular conditioning and sealing with a food-safe conditioner. Don’t forget to add a container of our Board Balm to your order.
If you’d more great gift ideas delivered to your inbox, become an RTS Insider today!